Ambazhathil Karunakaran Lohithadas (10 May 1955 – 28 June 2009) was an Indian screenwriter, playwright, director, and producer known for his extensive work in Malayalam cinema. Lohithadas was known for his rich, detailed, and realistic screenplays. He made his debut as a screenwriter withThaniyavarthanam (1987). He has written screenplays for 35 films in a 24-year-long career, such as Kireedam (1989),Dasharatham (1989), Sasneham (1990), His Highness Abdullah (1990), Bharatham (1991), Amaram (1991),Aadhaaram (1992), Kamaladalam (1992), Venkalam (1993), Padheyam (1993), Chenkol (1993), Chakoram (1994),Thooval Kottaram (1996), Sallapam (1996), and Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (1999). He later became a director, and has directed films such as Bhoothakkannadi (1997), Karunyam (1997), Kanmadam (1998), Joker (2000), andKasthooriman (2003). He died on 29 June 2009 due to a heart attack.
Lohithadas (or 'Lohi', as he is often referred to) was born on 10 May 1955 in Chalakudy, Kerala. He showed an initial interest in writing short stories, but failed to make a mark in that genre. He soon moved into Malayalam theatre in 1986 when his debut script was accepted for the stage by the legendary theatre personality Thoppil Bhasi. Bhasi's Communist Party of India (CPI)-backed drama troupe, the highly successful Kerala People's Arts Club (KPAC), produced the play, which led to his winning a state award.
Fresh with the play's commercial and critical success, Lohithadas was introduced to K. G. George by actor Thilakan. It did not help Lohithadas to start a career inMalayalam cinema. But it was K. G. George who gave the basic core idea of the story, later which was developed by Lohithadas to make the film Kireedam. Later, Thilakan introduced Lohithadas to director Sibi Malayil when Sibi was searching for a good writer for his films. Thus Lohi's first movie screenplay Thaniavarthanamwas directed by Malayil and became a success. Together, Sibi Malayil and Lohithadas would later produce several memorable Malayalam movies. His screenplay works for Sibi Malayil are Thaniyavarthanam (1987), Dasharatham (1989), Kireedam (1989), His Highness Abdullah (1990), Bharatham (1990), Kamaladalam(1992), and Chenkol (1993). Other works include Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (1999),Sasneham (1990) for Sathyan Anthikkad and Amaram,venkalam(1991) for Bharathan. He later became a filmmaker and made works such as Bhoothakkannadi (1997), Karunyam (1997), Kanmadam (1998), Arayannangalude Veedu (2000), Joker(2000), Kasthooriman (2003) (which he himself produced), and Nivedyam (2007). Most of his works were critically and commercially successful. His works were recognised from his very first venture Thaniyavarthanam, which brought him the Kerala State Film Award for Best Story. When he went to Germany for a film festival for screening his first directorial venture Bhoothakkannadi, one of the German filmmakers asked him by seeing this movie whether he is a Psychologist or not. That film was a real and exact depiction of human psychology.
Thilakan was always been so proud of Lohithadas who was introduced to Malayalam film industry by him and Lohithadas became one of the most prominent classic screen writers of Malayam cinema ever seen.
In the morning of 28 June 2009, he experienced chest pains and uneasiness at his home at Aluva near Ernakulam and was immediately taken to the Lisy Hospital, Kaloor, Ernakulam, where he was declared dead from a heart attack at 10:50.
Natinal Film Awards
• 1998 – Indira Gandhi Award for Best First Film of a Director – Bhoothakannadi
Kerala State Film Awards
• 1999 – Best Popular Film – Veendum Chila Veettu Karyangal
• 1997 – Best Film – Bhoothakannadi
• 1997 – Best Screen Play – Bhoothakkannadi
• 1992 – Best Popular Film – Venkalam
• 1991 – Second Best Film – Bharatham
• 1987 – Best Story – Thaniyavarthanam
Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
• 2005 – Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film Portraying Woman in Good Light – Kasthuri Maan
• Film Critics award for Best script – Thaniyavarthanam (1987)
• Film Critics award for Best script – Dasharatham (1989)
• Film Critics award for Best script – Kireedam (1989)
• Film Critics award for Best script – Bharatham (1991)
• Film Critics award for Best script – Chenkol (1993)
• Film Critics award for Best script – Chakoram (1994)
• Film Critics award for Best script – Sallapam (1995)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Thooval Kottaram (1996)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Bhoothakannadi (1997)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Ormacheppu (1998)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Joker (1999)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (2000)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Kasthooriman (2003)
• Film Critics award for Best script- Nivedyam (2007)
• Film Critics award for Best Director- Bhoothakannadi (1997)
• Film Critics award for Best Director- Joker (1999)
• Film Critics award for Best Director- Kasthoorimann (2003)
• Film Critics award for Best Director- Nivedyam (2007)
• Asianet Film Award
• 1999 – Best Script Writer Award – Veendum Chila Veettu Karyangal
Keralites have proved their deligence and extra ordinary brillience through out the world. Keralites are well known for their honesty and efficiency in all fields. In the list of Prominent Personalities we have tried to include all famous personalities from Kerala. We are trying to collect the details of the rest. If you have the details of any such personalities, please send to us.